Buy Tickets Online via PayPal
- Click the button above to purchase tickets to the 2014 Tour of Homes at the advanced purchase rate of $20.
- On Sunday (Tour Day) bring photo ID to CPNO tent at front entrance of park to pick up tickets purchased with PayPal.
- Tickets can also be purchased on Saturday and Sunday at the CPNO tent for $25.
Welcome to the 2014 Tour of Homes, Gardens and Features
You know that predictable tour that so many neighborhoods do with the houses that all look the same? Not so for Candler Park! Not only will we feature inspiring residences, but also we will also offer several imaginative and enchanting garden spaces. A tropical paradise, a few creative food forests, and our own outstanding community garden space complete with goats and chickens are all on the program. This year’s tour is intended to have all of our outside Candler Park visitors leaving green with envy about our special neighborhood.
But what else could there possibly be? We want people to know about some of our great spaces and resources: The Candler Park Golf Course Clubhouse, Fire Station #12 (along with some cool stuff for the kids), First Existentialist Church, and Mulberry Fields Community Garden.Date: Sunday, September 28, 2014 Time: Noon to 6 pm
This year’s tour promises to have something for everyone thanks to our committee chairperson Lexa King and committee members Jeff Morabito, Sharon Polmanteer and Bonnie Palter. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact us at: email@example.com
2014 Candler Park Tour of Homes, Gardens and Features LocationsClick Here for Map 296 Oakdale Road Owner: Bill Wood Year Built: 1900 Style: Craftsman
Bill grew up in Buckhead, always feeling like a stranger in a strange land. He moved to Candler Park in 1978, renting a place on Euclid and had the “aha” moment the first month living here – this was his center of the universe!
In 1987 he bought his home on Oakdale. The house was built in 1900 and is a classic Craftsman. Many of the original homes on Oakdale are Craftsman, but no two are alike. One common feature was stained glass windows in the dining rooms, but once again, all are unique. The house had been converted into a duplex at one time, then back to a single family home with hodgepodge and haphazard renovations. Ceilings were lowered and the hardwood floors covered with tile and carpeting.
In 1997, Bill did a structural renovation, replacing floors in the kitchen, bathrooms and front porch and adding a ground-level deck in the back. The idea was to restore the original integrity of the house with modern amenities. In 2013 the much anticipated renovation was done. This included a new roof, new HVAC systems and rewiring the house, restoring the hardwood floors, converting the dining room into a media room, and redoing the kitchen. The 12-foot ceilings have been restored and the attic is now usable space.The gardens are a reflection of Bill’s passion for vegetables and flowers as well as southern and tropical landscaping. Future projects will include hardscaping and eliminating grass in the front yard.
Bartow purchased the house in 1988 from John and Debbie Wicker, owners of 688, MetroPlex, and Pink Flamingos. Over the next 20 years he made improvements including reconfiguring the shot-gun hallway to accommodate a large central closet, updating the kitchen and adding a doorway out to the new back deck, rebuilding the laundry room and installing brick steps and walkways.
In 2013, when Sharon moved in, they decided to do a major renovation. They gutted and rebuilt several rooms, resulting in two new bathrooms and the “veranda room”, complete with beamed ceiling and a new oak mantel designed to match the original mantels in the dining room and bedroom. While touring the house, don’t miss the unusual wall treatment in the master bedroom – a happy accident occurring when they stripped off the 30-year-old silver foil wallpaper.
They’ve just finished the front porch renovation, opening the screened porch and trimming out the window and door (the stained glass transom was formerly covered with siding). They love sitting out on their open porch, watching the foot traffic and enjoying their tropical garden.
The back garden, which was a mud dog run when Bartow moved in, has been molded over the years into a shady haven that transports them far from the bustling city life out front. The deck is surrounded by a brick wall built from repurposed brick and tile. In the winter, some of the banana trees, palms and ferns are brought in to the house, but most winter over in “the spage”, with the hot tub providing heat and moisture. In early spring, they put shelving by the spage windows and propagate caladium bulbs harvested in the fall.416 Euclid Terrace Owners: Scott Gross and Jennifer Wamsley Year Built: 1920 Style: Craftsman
Don’t miss: Glass brick shower wall in the bathroom, original tile around the fireplaces in the bedrooms, original pocket doors, vegetable garden out back.
Purchased in 2012 by Scott Gross and Jennifer Wamsley, this house at 416 Euclid Terrace has been completely renovated, with additions including a swimming pool, laundry room, eat-in gourmet kitchen, and a new basement.
Located one block behind Little 5 Points, the Candler Park house was a perfect project when purchased. The original footprint has remained the same, but Scott gutted the entire house himself, including almost all the ceilings and walls. The only ceiling not to come down was the original bead board ceiling in the front bedroom. The original crawlspace under the house was dug out to house a new basement for Scott’s workspace and furnace. The floors are original and were refinished heart of pine and oak.
The kitchen was the biggest project, as Scott built and put it together by hand. The kitchen was expanded and a back, former bedroom, is now the eat-in dining room. An enclosed back porch is now the back left kitchen corner. All the finishes in the house and the tiling in both the kitchen and laundry room were picked by the couple with the intention of keeping the Craftsman integrity intact. The pool was dug out and installed last August and the gardens around the property were planted this past April.
This fall, the couple plans to expand upstairs, adding 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. All the upstairs foundation work was completed during the original renovations when the ceilings were removed. The dining room is currently a makeshift master bedroom, with a butler pantry masquerading as a shoe closet. The archway access to the living room is also currently closed in by a temporary closet. Eventually that will be re-opened to return the room to its original state, and a turning staircase will access the upstairs and basement where the “office” currently is.
A work in progress, and a labor of love, Scott works tirelessly on creating an authentic-feeling Craftsman in the heart of Candler Park.422 Candler Street
Owners: Jeff Portnoy and Mary Middlemas Year Built: 1910 Style: Craftsman Bungalow
Don’t miss: The porches, back deck, and gardens. The bird activity, the drought-tolerant plants, and the garden walls and paths constructed from recycled sidewalk paving stones. Inside, the vibrant wall colors in most of the house are from the palette of our friend Chris Simoncelli, a celebrated local potter.
After long years as a rental duplex, the fate of many houses in Candler Park, 422 was restored to its original state in the mid-1990s by Greg Smith, a former President of CPNO. He returned the large central hallway to its former glory and meticulously searched for suppliers that offered items approximating the originals, such as the hall’s cast-iron returns and the hexagonal white tiles of the guest bathroom.
When they purchased the house in 2000, Jeff and Mary did some minor interior renovations, including redoing all of the closets and adding a closet in Jeff’s office, as well as installing new countertops and glass cabinet doors in the kitchen. The major addition was the screen porch and deck, truly a refuge from the chaos of the city. After battling the weeds and bamboo, they designed and created an intricate cottage garden, transforming the backyard into what is now a certified Atlanta Audubon Society Wildlife Sanctuary.
When they first visited the house as Greg was about to put it on the market, they spotted a downy woodpecker through the backdoor; its presence seemed like a good omen. As they continued their tour of the house, their toughest decision became whether to offer the asking price immediately or play it cool by walking home and then phoning him ten minutes later.Town Homes of Candler Park 1258 DeKalb Ave #124 Owners: Gabriela and Forry Eisenhart
Gabriela and Forry bought their home in the spring of 2012 for their growing family. As a family of four with two toddler boys, they love what Candler Park has to offer. The town homes are situated directly on DeKalb Avenue, and were built as live/work properties. The first floor of their home is currently used as a media/play room, but was designed to be used as a commercial space. As an interior designer specializing in the in town area, Gabriela had a blast making this unique non-traditional family home a functional yet elegant and modern space for their family. They love the open floor plan for entertaining, and their boys love to peer out the windows and see the trains and fire trucks go by.
Gabriela wanted to incorporate all of their family heirlooms and art while making everything work together and still fit their personalities. They consider the style of their home to have a modern elegant flair with a splash of traditional vintage elements. Every room has been repainted or wallpapered, and all window treatments are custom. Most of the lighting has been replaced and updated as well.Mulberry Fields Community Garden and Green Space
Don’t miss: the flock of chickens and our their entertaining goats, Bella, Clover and Rojo, and Sophie the Border collie, the Mayor of Mulberry Fields. Delight in the garden art and sculpture, particularly the Chick a Billy, a 10 foot tall Goat headed Chicken Fire Sculpture.
Mulberry Fields is a unique oasis. It’s an in-town acre of open meadow, mulberry trees and ancient pecan trees offering accessible green space for neighborhood recreation, community building and organic growing of vegetables and fruit as well as habitat for owls, hawks ,blue birds and a variety of woodpeckers. The land was part of a 19th century dairy farm. In 1992 the Talbot family put the land up for sale to develop it, including the original farm house on Candler St. Luckily three adjoining households bought the land for community use.
In 1999, Jesse Harris and Richard Bathrick began the community garden with the help of a United Way Great Ideas grant and guidance from Fred Conrad of the Atlanta Community Food Bank. From six original growing beds, the garden expanded to provide growing space to twenty-five Candler Park and Lake Claire households. Only organic methods are used and an abundance of fresh veggies are produced each year. They operate on a small yearly budget funded by neighbor’s donations and fees for the garden beds and they maintain the area on community work days with help from gardeners and neighbors. There is a waiting list, but contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org if you live in the area and wish to garden.
In 2007 Mulberry Fields partnered with the Georgia Piedmont Land trust to put the land in a Conservation Easement, securing its continuity as gardens and green space and protecting it from development.Fire Station No. 12
When Station 12 moved to its current location in 1959, the intown communities of Inman Park, Candler Park, Reynoldstown and Lake Claire were considered the “boonies.” Now they are eminently urban and utterly gentrified. “This is a very involved community,” says Lt. Mike Williams, who has worked at the station since 2011. “We do tons of station tours, we host a Cub Scout troop and we work a lot with area schools.”
Originally built in 1910, Station 12 occupied a location a few blocks west of the present facility until it was demolished to make way for CSX, MARTA and the Moreland-DeKalb Avenue underpass. Construction of the Edgewood Retail District has increased its call volume, and urban medical problems continue to dominate its schedule.
Other frequent calls include people stuck in the elevators at the East Lake MARTA Station (12’s truck’s territory extends from downtown to Candler Road in Decatur) and, to be expected in a community with so many old hardwoods, downed trees. Fire prevention education and new construction have helped decrease the number of actual fires that the station responds to, although one of the station’s most memorable calls involved a fire that the crew experienced from beginning to end. “We had a tree-down call,” Lt. Williams says. “A tree had fallen right in the middle of retired fire captain Albert Appling’s house. We went to check on the tree and saw that there were arcing power lines and a severed gas line. We saw the fire start; that never happens. Two houses burned.”
Chief Cochran talks often about how young the Department is, but that’s not a significant issue at Station 12. “We have 65 combined years of experience on the ladder on C shift,” Lt. Williams says. “The junior person on the truck has more time in than the entire engine crew.”
Current Station 12 staff: Captains Elfrem Jackson, George Howell and Alfredo Sealy; Lieutenants Sherwin Brown, Tim Mullins and Mike Williams; Sergeants Fred Calaicone, Jerome Burney, Eric Campbell, Derreck Green, Roderick Green, Tacuma Henry, Ervin Jernigan, Owen Jones and Felecia Rosemond; and Firefighters David Alden, Sherwayne Douglas, Montavis Horton, Jarvis Jackson, Aaron Robinson, Alrick Spencer, Kyung Jung, Ray Eberhart, LeKenneth Rackin, Steven Henley, Aaron Finnie, Darrell Hightower and Thomas Turner.The Phillip Rush Center 1530 DeKalb Ave, Suite A 328 Mell Ave, Suite B
The vision of the Rush Center was developed in the Fall of 2008 with the decision of The Health Initiative and Georgia Equality to establish a shared office space that could serve as a central meeting space for Atlanta’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. The mission of the Phillip Rush Center is to promote community through a multi-tenant, mixed-use facility that models community in its design and practice. By providing long-term and short-term affordable rental space, the Center brings together LGBT and allied nonprofit organizations under one roof, leveraging their unique strengths. Today the Rush Center is home to ten allied nonprofit organizations in our administrative offices. The Rush Center also includes a 3,300 square foot annex off Mell Avenue that can be rented by outside groups and individuals for meetings or special events.
The Phillip Rush Center is named for noted community advocate and philanthropist Phillip Rush in honor of his long-standing commitment to bring diverse people and organizations together in an effort to foster partnerships and understanding.Candler Park Golf Course
585 Candler Park Drive
In 1922 Asa Candler donated 55 acres of land to be used by the city as a park. The land included a nine hole golf course designed by Helen Smith, a landscape architect. Candler hired Helen Smith to design the course for his daughter. At the time women were not allowed to play golf. (GOLF= gentlemen only ladies forbidden) The clubhouse was built in 1928.
In 1955 all public courses were desegregated. Ms. Margaret E. Lattimore was the first African-American female to play on the course. She was a resident of Edgewood.
- Nature Sanctuary that runs along the left side of holes 4, 5, and 6. Please do not attempt today as the course is too busy.
- The Old Style Roof of the clubhouse.
470 Candler Park Drive
The Old Stone Church was the home of The Antioch East Baptist Church when the neighborhood was called Edgewood. An exhibit of historic photos, maps, and documents will be displayed around the Sanctuary. A portion of the display will honor the 1920 builders of the Sanctuary, the Antioch East Baptist Church, an African American Congregation now located in Edgewood, soon to celebrate its 140th church anniversary this autumn. We hope to have members and descendants of early Antioch families share their presence with us during the public history hour from 1pm to 2pm that afternoon.
* The Church will be open until 2PM for the TourGarden Art at 1339 Miller Avenue
Stack 7b, ceramic sculpture approximately 10 feet tall, by Anne Terhokoski. Anne is a Finnish artist (MFA ceramic art and design, Aalto University of Art, Helsinki) based in Decatur, GA. Anne’s work includes large to small ceramic sculptures along with a unique collection of ceramic tiles for the architectural trade. She is the owner of Studiovavoom Art Design in Decatur, GA.
Running Man, about 11 feet tall, an early John Payne. Payne, who lived on Sterling Street, was a major force behind Atlanta’s 1980s–90s Mattress Factory Shows, an extravagant potpourri of art and theater in fabulous fallow industrial spaces. In the late 1990s, he moved to Ashville, NC where he spearheaded the new Asheville River Arts District and became well-known for his kinetic sculptures (d. 2008). At least one of these kinetic sculptures (kinetosaurs) is on display there and others, bought by Imagine Exhibitions of Atlanta, are in a traveling exhibit called “Dinosaurs in Motion.”The Garden at 569 Candler Street
The home at 569 Candler Street is one of the oldest in Candler Park, dating from 1855. It is the last pillared farmhouse in Atlanta – the house sits on four-foot granite pillars quarried at Stone Mountain. The Union artillery lines went across the front yard, and the owner finds Civil War mines under the rose bushes.
Note the fountain in the front, which is a miniature copy of one of the historical fountains of Savannah.
All of the tomato and pepper plants in the gardens are started from seed, many of which have been gathered from remote locations in Europe and the Middle East. Seeds are planted in trays during December and January and nurtured under grow lights until weather allows for planting in the garden. The garden in the front yard is an example of intensive urban gardening, combining trees, flowers, and heirloom tomatoes in a harmonious whole.